|In cooperation with:|
OverviewIn this seminar, Europe’s financial community came together to continue the ongoing process of turning finance into a driver for sustainable development. Over three hundred bankers, insurers, asset managers, and government and civil society representatives from across Europe, North America, Asia, and Africa engaged in a lively discussion on Corporate Responsibility and Capital Markets, Qualitative Risk Management, and Climate Change. Topics that were presented and discussed include:
- The Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) guidelines, which may serve as a reporting standard similar to those used in accounting.
- The Environmental Management and Reporting (EM&R) guidelines, which can provide a simple map for financial institutions to implement an EM&R system across business and operational functions, and can give practical advice on how to lessen environmental impact.
- The material financial impact of qualitative risk, seen in price valuations and the availability of credit and cover, compounded by greater regulatory overlay and liability issues.
- The definition of governance.
- The benefits and pitfalls that may arise when integrating sustainability criteria into a fund management strategy and the current state of the mainstream fund management sector and the relative performance of SRI funds.
- The risk posed to the finance, insurance and government sectors by Climate Change and Disaster Management.
- Philippe Citerne, Directeur Général Délégué, Société Générale
- Jacqueline Aloisi de Larderel, Assistant Executive Director, UNEP
- Elisabeth Guingand, Directrice de la Mission Développement Durable et Qualité du Groupe Caisse des Dépôts
Corporate Responsibility and Capital MarketsChair: Hanns-Michael Hölz, Global Head Public Affairs & Environmental Coordination, Deutsche Bank; Co-Chair, UNEP FI
- The Power of Full Disclosure (PDF: 245 KB)
Dr. Allen White, Former CEO and Special Advisor to GRI, Global Reporting Initiative (GRI)
- Environmental Reporting Guidelines for the Global Finance Sector
Anthony Sampson, Director, Corporate Social Responsibility, AVIVA plc
- The New Challenges of Qualitative Risk Management (PDF: 28 KB)
Alan Banks, Group CEO, CoreRatings
- Sustainability – Getting it Right at the Level of the Financial System (PDF: 2.2 MB)
Brian Pearce, Director, Centre for Sustainable Investment, Forum for the Future UK
Financial Institution Case Studies in Project and Portfolio Risk ManagementChair: François de Ricolfis, Medium and Long Term Director, Coface
- Creating Metrics for Corporate Governance and Sustainable Development (PDF: 1 MB)
George Dallas, Managing Director, Standard & Poor’s
- Corporate Governance and the Fund Manager (PDF: 448 KB)
Rob Lake, Head of Engagement and Corporate Governance, Henderson Global Investors
- The Risk of Financing Forest Conversion (PDF: 3.5 MB)
Jan Willem van Gelder, Director, Profundo Economic Research Netherlands
- Banking Risk and Sustainable Development (PDF: 1.3 MB)
Arnaud Berger, Conseiller environnement, Banque Populaire du Haut-Rhin
Integrating Sustainability Criteria into Fund ManagementChair: Carlos Joly, Senior Vice President, Storebrand; Co-Chair, UNEP FI
- Sustainable Investment Performances (PDF: 652 KB)
Wim Vermeir, Global Head of Sustainable Management, Dexia Asset Management
- The Responsible Portfolio (PDF: 164 KB)
David Diamond, Analyste, Crédit Lyonnais Asset Management
- Assessing Bank Exposure to Environmental Risk (PDF: 134 KB)
Karina Litvack, Director, Governance & Socially Responsible Investment, ISIS Asset Management
- Management for Sustainable Development (PDF: 436 KB)
Patrick Savadoux, Gérant responsable du pôle Développement durable, CDC IXIS Asset Management
Climate Change, Fiduciary Responsibility and DisclosureChair: Pierre Bollon, Délégué Général, Association Française de la Gestion
- Predicting Disaster, Managing Losses (PDF: 2 MB)
Thomas Loster, Head of Weather/Climate Risks Research, NatCatSERVICE, Munich Re
- Linking Sustainability Performance to Fiduciary Duty (PDF: 604 KB)
Pierre Trevet, Managing Director, Innovest Strategic Value Advisors
- Insuring the Uninsurable (PDF: 226 KB)
Dr. Andrew Dlugolecki, Andlug Consulting